Living room is a place in the home, which has got a very special importance as far as planning is concerned.
If a schematic plan of the home is drawn it can be easily concluded that in almost every home plan the living room has got maximum area in unit squares.
This itself is an indication that the living room is a space that needs some good attention during the entire home decorating project.
Let's try to note down some essentials of a good and successful living room design.
1) Clear Circulation Space>> In any home plan whether it is an apartment block or an independent bungalow a person either enters an "entrance lobby" or directly in the living room (if space is an issue).
From this living room entrances open to all other spaces namely kitchen, bedrooms, staircases if any, patios, study rooms, family rooms etc.
That's why while designing a furniture layout it must be kept in mind that the circulation is unobstructed.
this can be easily achieved by creating a sample furniture layout on paper first and then the furniture arranged thereafter.
2) Visual Balance>> Create a good visual balance between the used and unused spaces.
By used space I mean the floor that has been occupied by the furniture pieces.
It is not necessary to fill every corner of the living room with some furniture element.
But as mentioned above a bare minimum circulation space is a must.
Since the main entrance of the entire home is only through the living room (most of the times) allow buffer space to carry the other heavy furniture pieces that are to be placed in the bedrooms such as double beds, wardrobes etc.
All these object need to carried through the living room and installed in the bedroom.
So think for your entire home, not just the living room.
3) Future Emergency Occupancy>> Think about what will happen if you throw a party at your place.
All your friends/relatives/colleagues will gather in the living room.
So plan for this extra occupancy.
What will you do in such situations for seating.
Will you move your dining chairs in the living or will people stand or even sit on the ground.
Whatever your decision plan for future.
4) Ventilation>> If the living room is considerably large, than in most cases it also has a higher ceiling.
This is very perfect for the proportions of the space.
So think about ventilating this space naturally and artificially as well.
If you are going to use fans then will these be hung from the ceiling or be wall mounted.
5) Warm and Welcoming Color Scheme>> As a general rule always keep your living room charming using bright color scheme, that has a welcoming attitude.
As mentioned above the living room is the first space you will see when you enter you home, so make it a point to use inspiring colors of your choice to add a touch of beauty.
Use of indoor flowering plants around the window bottom is also a great way to add some extra interest in the living room.
In this article I have tried to throw some light upon the living room design ideas, I hope this helps as a starting point for you to think more creatively to decorate your living room.
Copyright Shrinivas Vaidya